Saturday, March 1, 2014

Closet Remix Challenge



Today's post is going to be about a confession. Here goes anything: Hello, my name is Ashley and I am a shopaholic. Nothing makes me happier than handing over my dollar bills in return for glossy shopping bags. I love the thrill of a new purchase or finding an awesome deal on something. There is no such thing as planned shopping around here. I could go to the local grocery store for said grocery items and still find something not on the list to buy. On most days off, if I don't have a pinned down schedule you can probably find me at the mall. It's most often not because of a need that I buy something but of serious want. If I see something and don't buy it then I will obsess about it and think about all the ways it could possibly work in my closet until I finally go back and purchase it. I then bring that item home and sometimes do not even wear it for weeks or months later. Then my husband will ask me, "I've never seen that, is it new?" to which I reply "Oh no, I've had this awhile" (which is sort of true, sort of not!) Seriously, if there was a rehab center for shopaholics nearby my husband would probably put me in one. 

Another terrible vice to this addiction: online shopping. It is just so easy to make a couple clicks and viola-- a package is coming your way! Not to mention, I LOVE getting mail. What is better than that combo: the high of a purchase and the excitement of getting mail!?!? A win-win right? Well, not when you are leaving your bank account to survive on life support!

I have become a spending monster. I justify my purchases by the fact that it's "such a good deal, how can I not buy it!?!" or "I will be getting paid next week so it will be alright". I am always telling myself, after I buy this dress or this pair of shoes I won't need to buy anything else because my wardrobe will have everything I could ever need. Then I jump on [insert social media site here] and I instantly see something I just "HAVE to have". Well, with my husband's start date of school quickly approaching (and soon me being the only one working), I need to do some self-medicating and rehab, thus enter: 
The Closet Remix Challenge.

Many of my fellow bloggers have been doing this as a way to find inspiration WITHIN their very own wardrobe. For the month of March, I will be mixing and matching pieces that I already have in my closet and doing no shopping. This is going to be so hard for me but I think that it will also be good for me. There are many tops in my closet that I don't think I have even worn yet! I need to calm the monster within me and start to be more budget friendly. I will still be finding inspiration through Pinterest and Instagram and really encouraging myself to find new ways to use old pieces. For instance, adding a statement necklace or a scarf to an outfit totally changes the look!

I will try to post a week's worth of outfits from my closet every week and you can also follow along on my Instagram (@perfectlyscrubbed). I hope that you will encourage me on this journey and I also hope that I can provide you with some inspiration as well!



4 comments:

  1. Such a great idea! I can't wait to follow along! I used to be a shopaholic too...and lately I haven't been shopping much at all...we are trying to save some money for some bigger purchases, so I decided if my husband isn't shopping, I better quite too haha. I need to learn how to mix and match pieces I already have so I don't get bored with my wardrobe. I've been wearing my winter clothes for so long, I need to mix them up so I don't feel like I've been wearing the same thing for the past five months. Can't wait to see what you do and get some ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following along Ericka!! Hopefully I can be of some inspiration for you! It is definitely going to be a challenge but I am excited because I think it will be fun! :)

      Delete
  2. LOVE this challenge!! Looking forward to following along :) :)

    ReplyDelete